Saturday, March 19, 2005

First round ramblings

It figures that as soon as I think Syracuse is getting it together and I put a little faith in them it turns out I should have stuck with my gut instinct when I labeled them most likely to dissapoint. As good as Gerry McNamara is when he's on, he is god-awful when he is off. Forcing shots, commiting turnovers, and the last shot of the game says plenty - he could have gotten a much better shot or at least found someone who did -and instead he had to try to be the hero and take some impossible circus shot. And oh yea, that was to cap a night of 4-18 shooting.

Bucknell coming through over Kansas. I did originally have this listed but due to publishing complications it got erased and lost. Kansas just simply wasn't that good this year. They showed signs of greatness but this was not a team that was going to do well in the tournament atmosphere.

As far as sleepers picks, I must have been dreaming. Alabama and LSU bowed out in the first round - thats what I get for thinking two SEC teams are going to do some damage. And Kentucky, they have a pretty easy road to the Elite 8, but again they just aren't as good as they've been and don't be surprised if they head home after this weekend. But for that to happen a different tournament rule would have to break down - the Cinci, Wake Forest and Florida rule - all tourney choke teams. Which brings me to the Gators - another first weekend exit as they will fall to Villanova after barely escaping against Ohio.

Another sleeper that stayed in bed, Pittsburgh. The Panthers falling in the first round to Pacific and the Tigers now face Washington. And as far as I can tell Washington has been getting no love at all. Pitt over Washington seemed to be the pretty popular second round upset pick, but even now people are going with Pacific. I like the Huskies to eventually face off with Louisville and the winner of that game will eventually get to the Final Four. And yes I'm sticking by my guns and my original Louisville final four pick.

Maybe, just maybe West Virginia will come through and knock off Wake Forest. I still like the Mountaineers in this game after escaping against Creighton. Big East v ACC round 1.

The Austin region is so weak. Granted no matter who the committee put there chances are they would lose to the winner of the Syracuse region but still. And if Syracuse the basketball team had gotten by Vermont they would have gone to the Final Four. But Duke, Kentucky, - a couple of has beens - Oklahoma and Michigan St? Not so strong. Especially after Duke heads home early after losing to Mississippi State.

Quick picks for round 2

UW Milwaukee OVER Boston College
West Virginia OVER Wake Forest
Connecticut OVER NC State
Gonzaga OVER Texas Tech
Louisville OVER Georgia Tech
Utah OVER Oklahoma
Miss St. OVER Duke


Check out the bloggers bracket on http://www.yocohoops.com/

2 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home